by Gab Abell
Avena sativa - Oats
One of nature's best emmoilents, topical application of oats help to soften & soothe inflamed/ dry skin. Adding oats to the bath is the best for dry winter skin. Once in contact with water, oats leave a thin, nourishing film. Rub all over & especially to the scalp for extra soothing. Not only does it smell great but it leaves the bath beautiful and milky- you'll feel as lavish as Cleopatra. Add fresh rose petals, rosemary or lavender for extra points.
Notable constituents in oats: B-glucans (mucilage), magnesium, silicon, flavonoids (helps with cell signalling & prevents oxidative stress), vitamin E.
- 2 cups organic whole rolled oats
- muslin, clean soak/stocking or nut milk bag (avoids cleanup & it doubles as a loofah)
- let water run through bag- suspend between the two taps if possible or keep at the bottom of the tap
- squeeze bag to release extra goodness
- jump in & rub all over (especially hair- trust us!)
With the anointing oil, water & oil don't mix but our skin is lipid (fat) rich which attracts the oil floating on top of the water. When our bodies are warm, our pores are open & oils are able to penetrate deeper- extra points!!